An inner athlete's manifesto.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Step One: Put on Your Shoes (aka Pizza, then Treadmill)

As we all know, the first step to fitness is to put on your shoes and get off the couch. This is easier said than done, especially for me. And since this blog is mine, we will be talking about me quite a lot.
Today is my only day off this week, and my goal was to wake up early enough to beat possible 80-degree weather. I wanted to run in the morning--a long, scenic run in Central Park with birds chirping and cyclists whirring by--then I wanted to take the train to the beach and spend the day doing absolutely nothing.
Rain changed all that.
I have now been in my running shoes for five hours, waiting for the rain to go from a steady drizzle to a light, misty sprinkling. I can run in a light, misty sprinkling. I can even run in a downpour if it's hot and humid enough. But I will not do cold, steady drizzle.
I have done the dishes, hand-washed some bras, walked to the bank, picked out a Father's Day card, sent off some mail, and started a blog. I have made a doctor's appointment. I even had a slice of pizza (I know, I know) and a tiny salad. It's still drizzling steadily. Some of you may think I am procrastinating, and you are right. I am procrastinating because the last thing I want to do in June is hang out on the treadmill without an ipod.
I'm gonna do it anyway just to show you all I can overcome adversity. It is now 6:12PM, and I am going to the gym during rush hour (which I hate), to run on something I tolerate but do not like. I'm only doing it for the pizza today.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI

No comments:

Post a Comment